CCA Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2009

American Charity

I recently engaged in a discussion on Facebook over a post called the Conservative or American Divorce Agreement. This link is the same article, obviously not on Facebook, but the text is identical and there are a few versions on the net.

One commenter on the Facebook post is a liberal and the discussion became one based on opinion and emotion rather than fact. Then with a feeble attempt to deflect the argument into "health care" (as they've been told to do), she asked how willing I would be to take in my parents to care for them in their old age. I explained that I would and have already agreed to and that it's only in America that we cast our elderly aside because they become a lifestyle inconvenience. In most European countries and my wife's native Brasil the very thought is repulsive. I made a few other good points and as I was making my last reply I had the following thoughts and thought I should share them with you all.

My reply is as follows:

I'm disgusted at how our nation has been flipped upside down in nearly every way, morally, politically, spiritually, ethically, etc. and how so many have been brainwashed and deceived to "know" that down is up. I don't fault them for trying to believe in helping others, that's a noble and admirable thing to do and something we all should strive to do. But with rights comes responsibilities and their responsibility doesn't end with throwing money at the state to dole out in their name as they see fit.

Meeting our maker when it's our time, I imagine the conversation might go something like this:

Jesus: How many of the least of my brethren did you help in my name?
Liberal: I gave millions in state aid to help those in need and paid my taxes on time!
Jesus: I never saw you.
Liberal: But what about all those that I helped through the state and my charitable contributions?
Jesus: I waited for you to come, but I never saw you. I don't know you. Step to the left.

Nowhere in Matthew 25:31-46 does Jesus say "I was in need of taxes and you filed before April 15th". But He does say "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's and that which is God's unto God." (Matt 22:21)

Give money to the state by all means, all of it if you want! But don't think for a moment it is charity for it is not. Since Deus Caritas Est (God is Love), all Love belongs to God and is God's and He so badly wants us to be reconciled to Him. "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

God gives us access to Himself and His unlimited Love through Christ Jesus and as conduits of His Love we are called to return it to Him through the very least of our brethren, keeping none of it for ourselves, and in doing so we truly store treasure in heaven! THAT my friends is the test!

Think of God's currency as Love for indeed it is our eternal reward and our treasure in Heaven! He gives us His unlimited Love to "put to work" as did the king in Luke 19:11-26. Did we multiply it through others or did we hide it in fear? Or worse did give it to another to throw before swine as is done with our taxes.

Here's a little flowchart for the visual learners:

God's Unlimited Love--->Jesus--->Us--->Least of our brethren (Jesus)--->God--->Treasure In Heaven!

If we keep any of it for ourselves, we fail and will be set to the left with the goats to our eternal punishment. It is only when you recognize with your own eyes the face of Christ in the least of our brethren that they can then see the face of Christ in you.

As in faith we have an obligation to evangelize to others about the Truth, but once they have the chance to know the Truth and then reject it, well then it's time to shake the dust off our feet as a testament against them. That same principle applies for the truth about America, why we were created and what this nation truly stands for.

The "American Divorce Agreement" while meant in a humorous light is nothing more than shaking the dust off our feet and divorcing ourselves from the evil ways that our nation has embraced to its core. Paraphrasing Matthew 18:9 - If thine nation offends thee, leave it. It is better to enter into life with no nationality, than to have embraced an evil nation and be cast into hell.

In closing I'll leave you with a link to Paul's most beautiful First Epistle to John, chapter 4:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20John+4&version=NIV

May you find the face of Christ in another and may they then see the face of Christ in you.

God's Blessings,
Bob

1 comment:

Mike said...

It is infinitely better to give your own money to a good cause than to give other people's money through taxes.

God Bless you and your blog. Your posts are great. Keep it up!

Who is the Catholic Conservative American?